Green Label Art
Pepsi held a contest recently for amateur artists to design a Pepsi can. And now Mountain Dew (also a Pepsi company) did the same, but instead just went straight to the pros.
Mountain Dew today announced the launch of Green Label Art, a limited-edition series of aluminum bottles featuring designs created by a variety of artists. The Green Label Art series (www.greenlabelart.com) will be released May through October in select markets. This series marks the first time a carbonated soft drink will be packaged in an aluminum bottle in the U.S.
The Green Label Art artists are an eclectic mix, ranging in style and notoriety, from apparel and sneaker designers to a vinyl action/toy designer and a lead singer from a top indie band. In addition, Paul Rodriguez, a professional skateboarder sponsored by Mountain Dew, collaborated on a design with skater-turned-artist, Chris Pastras.
All of the artists’ projects will be on display at their individual Mountain Dew bottle launch events. The first bottle release event, which will double as a launch for the program, is on Thursday, May 17 in Los Angeles. It will feature an exhibit of the collaboration between Rodriguez (P-Rod) and Pastras and will take place in the Chinatown district.
A multimedia micro-site, http://www.greenlabelart.com, launches today. The site will feature artist portfolios, behind-the-scene videos and detailed event highlights. In addition, Green Label Art is hosting a consumer-generated bottle design contest. Consumers will have all the tools necessary to design an individualized bottle through an interactive submission platform on the website. The general public can then vote for their favorite consumer-designed bottle. The winning artist will be awarded $10,000 and be a part of the next wave of Green Label Art designs.
The artists participating in Green Label Art are:
- TWEEQiM (miQ wilmOtt and THUY3) – vinyl action figures/toys; LA
- Troy Denning – tattoo artist; NYC
- Peat Wollaeger – stencil artist; St. Louis
- Mark Nardelli (created two designs for 5 Boro) – skateboard graphics designer; NYC
- jeffstaple – sneaker and apparel designer; NYC
- Methamphibian – sneaker and apparel designer; NYC
- Chris Pastras (with P-Rod) – skater/artist; LA
- Adam Juresko – collage artist; Richmond, Va.
- Dr. Revolt – graffiti artist; NYC
- Chuck Anderson – photo illustration artist; Chicago
- J.T. Woodruff (for Hawthorne Heights) – lead singer/painter; Dayton, Oh.
Check out the full press release here.
Very cool stuff. Collect all 12. If any of you get your hands on them, make sure to leave a comment and let us know where you found them.
Check out the minisite to view the bottles, watch some movies on the artists, create your own bottle design and download some pretty nice wallpapers.