Strawberries in Balsamic Vinegar
What to do with an abundance of strawberries? Make strawberries with balsamic vinegar!
I know, it sounds odd. I thought so too. But I didn’t feel like making something that was time consuming, so I did this. I always wanted to try it and I’m glad I did. It’s easy to make, pretty healthy, and makes a great dessert.
I hear sprinkling with a little black pepper and topping it off with some vanilla ice cream is delicious.
Photo from Flickr.
- fresh strawberries (3/4-1lb or more)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons poppy seed
- sprinkle of black pepper (optional)
- basil (optional)
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Chop strawberries and place in a bowl. Toss in the sugar and mix to coat. Place in fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to cool.
- Add vinegar and poppy seeds. Mix and let stand for a bit to coat.
- At this point you can serve as is. I did. I ate it alone and it’s great. But if you’re tempted, add some chopped up basil or some black pepper. Or serve with ice cream.