What Anna Nicole Smith ate…
Unfortunately, I can’t tell you who Anna Nicole Smith’s babys’ daddy is, but I can tell you how to make some real Bahamian Conch Salad and Fritters.
In case you’ve never heard of conch, it’s the staple of the Bahamian diet. Conch (pronounced “konk”) is a large type of ocean mollusk that has firm, white, peach-fringed meat. Fresh, uncooked conch is delicious; the conch meat is scored with a knife, and lime juice and spices are sprinkled over the meat. It can also be deep-fried (called “cracked conch”), steamed, added to soups, salads and stews or made into conch chowder and conch fritters. It is known for its alleged aphrodisiac properties. The Bahamian “rock lobster” is a spiny variety without claws that is served broiled, minced or used in salads. Other delicacies include boiled or baked land crabs, which can be seen, before they are cooked, running across the roads after dark. (from Bahamas Gateway)
It’s said that you can substitute conch with lobster if it’s not available in your area.
BAHAMIAN CONCH SALAD
- 1 (2 lb.) conch, best are frozen in salt water
- 15-20 limes
- 1 lg. tomato, chopped
- 1 lg. green pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Tabasco to taste
- Squeeze limes and defrost conch in the lime juice.
- Meanwhile get the vegetables together in a large bowl. Add to lime juice.
- While conch is still slightly frozen, chop into 1/2 inch (approximately) cubes. Add back to lime mixture.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving. Stir and taste. Add hot peppers (red) as desired. 1-2 hot peppers is usually enough.
BAHAMIAN CONCH FRITTERS
- 2 med. conch, clean & remove skin ½ small sweet pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups flour
- 1 t. hot sauce
- 1 t. salt
- Put conch, sweet pepper, onion & celery through a meat grinder.
- Add remaining ingredients to make a batter.
- Drop batter by tablespoon into hot oil and fry for approx. 10 min. or until golden.
- Serve with cocktail sauce: ½ c. ketchup, ½ t. horseradish, 1 t. hot sauce, mix & serve.