Fontina Macaroni and Cheese
From Giada de Laurentis. Mmmmmm…Giada. I mean, mmmmmm, mac & cheese.
- 2oz salted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup grated fontina cheese
- pinch fresh nutmeg
- sea salt & pepper
- 1/2lb pasta (whole wheat would work)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Start a bechamel sauce by melting butter and adding flour to create a roux. Once the roux thickens continue stirring and gradually add milk. Stir constantly and bring to a simmer over medium heat. This should take about 10 minutes. When the sauce is thick enough to generously cover aspoon, remove from heat and add nutmeg, salt, pepper and half the fontina.
- Add the sauce to cooked pasta (al dente).
- Combine remaining melted butter and breadcrumbs. I made my own from some whole wheat I had on hand.
- Pour pasta mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining fontina and breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 minutes at 220°C (425°F)